Software & Controllers
FLIR Motion Control Systems pan-tilts are designed for computer control with high-performance two-way interfaces. All units provide serial pan-tilt control interface (RS-232 and/or RS-485). E Series units also provide Ethernet control interfaces.
Both ASCII and binary format control protocols are supported. A high-performance C API/SDK is available for integrating control into a custom application. See the “Software” tab below for further information on the software interfaces.
A ruggedized joystick controller option is available for PTU-D47, PTU-D48E, PTU-D100E, and PTU-D300E models.
E Series models provide a built-in web interface for simple configuration and control of pan-tilts from a web browser.
E Series pan-tilts also have built-in support for the Pelco-D protocol providing compatibility with many standard 3rd party applications and hardware joystick/controllers.
FLIR MCS pan-tilts can be controlled as follows:
- Simple ASCII commands sent from a custom program over serial or Ethernet
- Simple ASCII commands typed into a terminal program and sent over serial or Ethernet
- Binary commands send from the PTU-SDK
- Web interface – web browser access to built-in pages for configuration and simple control
- 3rd party software applications that support Pelco-D, or native MCS protocol (e.g, FLIR Sensors Manager, LabVIEW, others)
- Any host software or device supporting Pelco-D
- Video trackers that have been qualified with FLIR MCS pan-tilts (contact sales for details)
- Rugged joystick control (PTU-DCJ)
The PT-DCJ is a rugged joystick/controller for FLIR MCS pan-tilt units. The PT-DCJ provides a plug-and-play solution for manual control of FLIR MCS PTU-D100, PTU-D300, PTU-D47/48 pan-tilt models. The metal enclosure, non-contact joystick, and sealed design provide an ideal solution for harsh vehicle environments including ground, sea, and airborne applications.
- Joystick: controls PTU using velocity commands with magnitude
proportional to joystick position. A small deadband accommodates
high-vibration environments Simultanous control/motion of pan and tilt
- Left Button: "Set User Zero" - press and hold to define current PTU position as new user "home".
- Right Button: "Go to User Zero" - will command pan-tilt to last set
User Zero positions. Press and hold will command to absolute 0/0
- Power Button: Press and hold to turn off power to PTU.
DCJ Rugged Controller Datasheet